Friday, October 3, 2008

My Jam Turned Out

For years and years I have been making freezer jam with MCP pectin. Everyone in our family loves the jam I make. So, while I was trying to finish up my peaches I stopped at the store to buy some pectin to make some jam. At the store they had raspberries on sale for an amazing price so I bought some and came home to make peach/raspberry jam. I was in the process of making the jam which requires stirring every 5 minutes for half an hour when I discovered that I did not have the corn syrup that I needed to go in it. I also did not have time to run to the store by the time I discovered this so I decided to see what happened if I did not add the corn syrup, I still added all the other sugar required. The instructions with the pectin tell you that the corn syrup is to prevent the sugar from crystalizing when it is frozen. I just made sure that I stirred the sugar in very well. Not only did the jam turn out but it is great. I think it sets up a little better and has a better fruit flavor without the corn syrup so from now on I will never add the corn syrup to my freezer jam.

2 comments:

Donette said...

That's amazing! I was recently wondering if you could decrease the "sugars" in homemade jam. I don't remember using corn syrup in my jam because I just use the the jar inversion method (no pressure cooker), but I definitely am going with Wendy's freezer jam next time because I think it will last longer shelf life wise.

Wendy said...

You really aren't supposed to decrease the amount of sugar called for because it doesn't set as well. The MCP brand of pectin is the only one that calls for corn syrup but it is also the only one that is a no cook recipe and I like that because it makes the jam taste like fresh fruit. Also, when you do freezer jam you can put it into any container - plastic is better than glass because glass can break when frozen and it usually stacks better. You just need to make sure you have enough room in your freezer.